Thursday, May 16, 2013

Momento






Response to Token Handout


I do not agree with the idea of the lottery system to decide wether to admit a child into the hospital or not. However, I do like the concept of the mothers leaving a token as an identification. This reminds me of the movie Annie, how she kept a sliced, or broken, locket while her parents had the other half. Also, I do not agree that a mother should just leave the child on the steps of the hospital.


Explanation

This piece is a memento of my childhood. The keyhole symbolizes looking into the past of my childhood. The sticks, grass, and bark are symbolizes the treed arch in the wood behind my house. The sticks piled up shows how as a child I would play with lincoln logs, as well as stacking sticks at the roots of trees for ants and bugs. I choose these materials because of its fragility. Childhood is very fragile and can break easily if handled wrong, the same as this piece.

I did not really have many obstacles with this piece beside the grass. It was difficult to wrap and tie the grass as it could break if pulled hard. However, despite the difficulty, it was worth it because the grass completes the piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment